21 Questions to Ask A Home Builder or Remodeler
August 14, 2019 |
When searching for a home builder or remodeler, you must be thorough!! I recommend using this list of 21 questions to ask a home builder or remodeler. Be prepared to ask these at the very first meeting.
Don’t avoid asking questions because you’ll feel awkward. Remember the amount of money you are getting ready to commit to spending. Really close your eyes and think about that number, or write it on a piece of paper in front of you. It’s a lot. This is largely a buyer beware society, you MUST do your due diligence when spending such a vast amount of money.
So, apologize to the builder you are speaking to if it makes you feel better, but ask the questions. A good builder who has nothing to
- How long have you been in business?
- What is your educational & experience background?
- Do you have a professional designer(s) to help with space planning and selection?
- Are your trades employees or subcontractors?
- Will you provide me with a written list of client references I can call?
- Do you have a written scope of work/product installation methods for each trade? If yes ask to see it.
- What professional associations do you belong to?
- Where do you bank and who is your contact person? The idea is for you to contact this person to get a reference for timely pay, etc.
- Where do you purchase your lumber and who is your contact person?
- Do you use the same trade subcontractors consistently or receive bids for the lowest price?
- Will you provide a written timetable for project construction?
- Who will be my contact? How will they contact me? How often should I expect to hear from them?
- Can I receive a copy of your warranty and homeowner’s manual?
- How long have your key employees been with your company?
- How often will my home be cleaned during the construction process?
- How many homes have you built similar to mine?
- On average, how much do your customers deviate from your allowances?
- What is your change order policy?
- What happens if you miss the agreed-upon closing date?
- What guarantees do you offer?
- Why should I choose your company?
If an answer isn’t clear or doesn’t make sense, stop and ask more questions until you feel comfortable in your understanding. Repeating what you understand back to the builder is also a great way to gain clarity.
Building a home should be one of the best, most fulfilling experiences of your life. Try to put yourself in the best position to make a fulfilling experience possible. Doing your homework, preparing to make design decisions, and making good a choice in your builder or remodeler partner are great first steps!
Do you live in or around Shelbyville, KY and want a new home built or a much-loved home remodeled? We would be THRILLED to talk to you! Please contact us!
If you live in another location and would like to explore being your own general contractor, stick with me! I’m committed to educating homeowner’s on the process of remodeling their home because it can be a deeply rewarding experience.
I hope you found value in the information I’ve given here. Please consider signing up for my email, so you don’t miss future information. Be sure to like us on Facebook @Sanctuary Homes. Chow for now!